I’ve written a full-blown HL7 Engine in VB.NET (2008) and have been considering opening it up to the public as open source. However, it’s been a tough decision because 1) I really believe in open source and want to contribute my work, and 2) to be brutally honest, I’d love to eventually get some payback from the countless hours it has taken to write. Sure, call me greedy, or yell at me and tell me to publish it and people will donate. Sorry, but I’ve seen and heard of too many solid developers do the same thing and get few coins here and there – enough to buy a burger or two.
I’d love to hear some input on what others have done. I’d also like to hear if there is any interest in this HL7 engine. Here are some specs:
* Bi-directional multi-threaded communications
* Message Builder with tons of configuration screens
* Message Processor with customizable processor API
* Currently running in a production environment
* Highly efficient at both receiving and processing.